Monday, February 14, 2011

Binding -Double-fold & continuous

Double-fold Binding - Continuous seam 

Sew on a continuous double-fold binding with invisible ending.

Strips:  Cut 2 1/2" strips WOF.

How long?  Measure the entire perimeter of the quilt and add 15".  Divide this total measurement by 42'" to determine the number of strips.  


Sew each strip - end-to-end at a 45 degree angle.  (just like the border strips)

Press the strip in half lengthwise.



Begin in the middle of the one side.  Measure down 8" of the strip and begin sewing at that point leaving the 8" end free.



As you approach the corner, stop 1/4" from the end and pivot the needle to sew perpendicular off the edge at the corner.







Remove the quilt and rotate 90 degrees.








Fold the strip at a 45 degree angle.







Fold back on itself making the fold at the edge of the quilt.










Begin the seam at the edge of the corner and sew 1/4" .






Continue around the quilt.



STOP when you get 8 - 10" from the start point.   Remove quilt and lay flat.










Fold the 2 strips until they meet and fold them back where they meet in the middle.  

Cut one of the ends at the fold.







 











Lay the  remaining end over and measure 2 1/2" from the 'new cut edge of the other strip'.  Cut.













Reposition the 2 ends at a 45 degree angle (just like the strips were sewn together)  Sew.
Tip:  Reposition and fold over as it will be sewn  to see if it was sewn correctly.








Unfold, Trim the excess, fold and sew.











Fold the binding to the back side, pin, hand-stitch.









1 comment:

  1. Hello, This is Sara across the street. No wonder you are such a good teacher. I have worked on the binding for my showercurtain quilt and am approaching the treatment at the corners. I admit I am not always the best at grasping an idea first time, but I'm at a little bit of a loss. I still have the two short sides to bind, then you may hear from me in the form of a white flag. Thanks, Marci.

    P.S. I have resigned my position at Forest Park East and am hanging in with Ernest until I turn 62 on my birthday in February, then taking early retirement. It is my hope to get better at all of my art, including quilt making. More soon.

    ReplyDelete